CBSE Sample Paper Class XII Functional English 2012
SECTION – B WRITING (25 Marks)
3. You are the President of Barracks Road Residents Association. Chennai. The election of office bearers of the association will be held on 28th December 2007 at the Railway Club. Draft a notice inviting all members to take part in the election to elect a President, Secretary and Treasurer and other posts for a new three-year term. (5 marks)
You have been invited by the Director ‘Progressive Movies” No”77,Aarthi Chambers ,Mumbai -75, for an audition for young talented artistes who wish to make it big in T.V.’ soaps’. Unfortunately you have other commitments and will not e able to make it this time. Write a reply to the Director expressing your inability to attend the audition and you desire to be able to perform next time round.Sign yourself as Janet/Jacob.Word limit 50 words. (5 marks)
4.You have seen the following advertisement in ‘The Hindu’ for the post of a Teacher of English. Write an application to The Principal, applying for the post. Sign yourself as Cynthia/Charles of 11, Aswini Anthara Complex, Judges Colony Road, Hyderabad .(word limit:200) 10 marks.
Wanted experienced Post Graduate Teacher in English to teach classes XI and XII in a reputed C.B.S.E school in Chennai. Must have working knowledge of computers, multi-media. Interested in co-curricular activities. Salary commensurate with experience and expertise .Please apply to:Box.No.3300.c/o ‘The Hindu’ Chennai-600 004.
5.You have read the following news item. You are disturbed by this trend and wish to write an article: ‘Don’t discriminate: girl or boy ,they are human’
Write an article in 150 -200 words based on the input given(10 marks)
INDIAN COUPLE PREFER BOYS TO GIRLS
A recent survey conducted by ‘Watchful Eye’ a group of human rights activist indicates that most Indian families prefer a boy child to a girl…The main reason cited is dowry, dwindling of life long family earning etc……………..
SECTION – C ( Grammar) 20 marks
6. Rearrange the following sentences to make complete sense.(4 marks)
7. The following passage has ten errors. Identify the errors in each line and write them along with the corrections as show (5 marks)
- Why did people drive on the left in Britain did do
- and on the right in other countries? The reason
- for this. go back to the days when people a.
- traveled on horse. Most people are right-handed b.
- ,and thus the left is a natural side to ride on if c.
- you are on horseback and you need your right
- hand to hold the sword in case of trouble. But d.
- Napoleon Bonaparte insisted that their armies e.
- marched on the right, and as he marched through
- Europe, he imposed this rule whenever he went f..
- Adolf Hitler did the same things. In fact not only g
- in Britain people drove on the left, but out of 178 h.
- countries in the world, there are about 50 who drive i.
- in the left, including Japan. j.
8.You are Rita/Ralph and you have an opportunity to interview Mr.Lalu Prasad Yadhav, Minister of Railways who has over the years turned the Indian Railways from a sick public sector undertaking to a huge money –spinning, profitable business. Based on the input given below, construct a dialogue between the two of you. Make five sets of exchanges(5 marks).
The Indian Railways since Independence – following a strict policy of increase in travel and freight charges –not able to recover from huge losses – state of affairs when you took over – try to change earlier policy –risk factors – new policy cheaper fares freight charges – railways as the better means of transport – present surplus finances – plans to improve the railways – accident free travel – delays –connecting rural India.
Rita/Ralph: When did you took over as railway Minister was the state of the Railways?
9. You have met Vishwanath Anand,the World Chess Champion. Make ten questions that you would like to ask him about his early life ,training, representing the country, greatest achievement etc…(5 marks)
SECTION – D (Literature)35 marks
10. Choose any One of the following extracts guven and answer the questions that follow: (7 marks)
- ‘But her hands are a wet eagle’s
- Two black pink-crinkled feet
- One talom crippled in a garden trap
- Set for a mouse’
1.Name the poem and the poet (1 mark)
2.Whose hands are wet (1 mark)
3.Why are the feet ‘crinkled’?
4 What are ‘talons’ in the passage?
5.Name the figure of speech used in this passage.
‘They’ll soon forget their haunted nights, their cowed subjection to the ghosts of friends who died.
1.Name the poem and the poet.
2.Who does ‘they’ refer to?
3.Why were their nights ‘haunted’?
4.What do the words ‘cowed subjection’ mean?
11. Answer any two of the following in 50 words each (4×2=8 marks)
a. According to Archibald MaCleish what are the ingredients that make a poem ‘a global fruit.
b. Describe Autumn as the season of ‘mists and mellow fruitfulness’.
c. “Separation is always painful’. How is this statement expressed in the poem ‘Curtain’?
12.Answer any one of the following in about 80- 100 words: (5 marks)
How did the monkey’s paw ruin the white family?
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr.White and Mrs. White.
13.Answer any two of the questions in about 50 words each: (4×2 + 8 marks)
a. Who was Iona Potapov? What was his plight?
b. Why did Jaques Roux the public executioner agree to give his role to Robichon?
c. How did Lisa’s attitude to her profession change?
14.Answer any one of the following in about 80 -100 words.(7 marks)
1.What makes Robert Lynd say that the world is no longer a toy dancing round and round?
2.”Circumstances can change a person’s attitude to life’. Can this be said of Asoka’s life? .
Tags: cbse functional english class 11 sample papers, cbse functional english class 12, bise lahregess paper 12 class english, role of functional english in business education, functional grammer for icse class 8, functional english sample paper for class 12 of 2012-2013, fuctional english cbse class 12 th 2013 board papee, free sample papers for functional english class 12, format of invitation reply - 12 class cbse, cbse functional english paper 2013