Visa Applications for Student to UK & USA




Do I need a Student Visa to study in the UK?

Most people need a student visa for the UK, except European Union countries. Always check your status before arriving at Heathrow airport JUST IN CASE. Immigration Officers turn away students every year for the wrong paperwork, an expensive and upsetting situation to go through. For full information see the Home Office website:

Do I qualify for a UK Student Visa?

You must be accepted to study either a full-time degree course or a 15-hour weekday, full-time course at a publicly funded university, a private education institution or an independent fee-paying school. Again, be aware that although most schools fall within this system, there are a few that do not. If you have any doubt, always check.

What else do I need to know?

You have to prove that you can meet the costs in the UK, from accommodation and food to course fees. Remember, London rents are least 25% more expensive than the rest of the country. You must also intend to leave the UK on completion of your studies. If you have guaranteed part-time work at your institution this can be taken into account on your behalf.

How many kinds of visa are there?

Read carefully: there are short-term single entry and short-term multiple visas (less than 6 months) and long-term multiple visas (more than 6 months). If you feel that you will need to leave the UK for ANY amount of time, you must get a multiple entry visa otherwise you will not be allowed back in. Which could make it difficult to attend that crucial politics tutorial at 2.30!

Can I extend my stay as a student?

Yes, but don’t leave it too late. Start planning for a new visa as soon as you think you will need to stay. Also, if you require a visa and didn’t enter the UK as a student, it may not be possible for you to stay on as a student.

Can I work?

Other than vocational work necessary for your degree (for architects, engineers etc) you may only work up to 20 hours per week. Accepting full-time work or setting up your own business is not allowed and you will be asked to leave the country if you do that.

Can I bring family with me?

Spouses and children are allowed to enter but, again, you have to show that you can support them. Spouses can work provided you were allowed to enter the UK for 12 months or more (long-term visa).


Do I need a Student Visa to study in the USA?

Everyone needs a student visa to study in the USA, as the immigration laws are strict there. There are very few exceptions, such as family members living there and a small number of others. If you think you may qualify, consult the US embassy in your home country.

Do I qualify for a US Student Visa?

Undergraduates must study at least 12 credit hours per week and graduates 9 credit hours, though those with graduate assistantship need only do 6 hours per week. The USA is full of private colleges and most of these are accredited but, again, it’s worth checking their status in your home country rather than at Denver airport…

What else do I need to know?

Have guarantees that you can look after yourself financially whilst in the USA. The immigration there is very sensitive about people coming in on student visas and then ‘disappearing’ into the countryside, so prove to them where you will be staying, studying and any other contacts there. America uses credit cards like no other country in the world and it is very useful to have one there.

Are you sure there’s nothing else?

Actually, there is. When arriving in the US, an Immigration Officer will present you with an I-94 Departure/Arrival Card and a Form known as IAP-66. Keep these with your passport. Don’t lose them. Trust me on that. It won’t mean huge problems but can cause unnecessary headaches, especially if needing to travel abroad or extend your visa.

Can I extend my stay as a student?

Yes, but again don’t leave it too late. If you apply late you risk being refused and facing a lengthy reinstatement process. Allow at least six weeks if you think you may need to extend your visa.

Can I work?

You may only work up to 20 hours per week but require written permission from your programme sponsor. This is slightly different if you are engaged on an assistantship place within your university, so ask your counsellor about the details before you arrive.

Can I bring family with me?

Spouses and (unmarried) children are allowed to enter on a non-immigrant visa. Again, you have to show that you can support them and that they will leave with you when the study ends.

For further information regarding Visa Applications for Student to UK & USA, connect with us on facebook, google+ and twitter.

Ask a Question:

  • hello,
    i want to go usa for my further study. I belongs to India but I have not strong financial position. So plz guide me what sould i do in case of non-finance position.

    poonam on 15 Dec 2010
  • do I need ilets or toffel for this?
    if yes then how much points in the same?

    Inderjeet Singh on 09 Jan 2011
  • I am a student of 10+2 and want to study in UK or USA.How much percentage i need in 10+2 to be part of a well known institution.I am a PCM stream student and want to do aeronautical enginnering there.Which is the best college there and how should i apply to be in any of this country.My 10 class percentage is 80 and i am a cbse student.

    Shivam Pathak on 10 Jan 2011
  • hey i m 10+2 student and i want to study in UK can you suggest me to take admission in the colloges and also how to get admission please there is no financial problem nut i want the best university degree
    TASHNEEM JAHAN from patna (bihar) my email id is '[email protected]' or you can also mail me at '[email protected] plz reply me as soon as possible

    TASHNEEM JAHAN on 14 Jan 2011
  • can i use a wasse certificate and what grades qualify a student for application?

    Phinehas Osei Mensah on 22 Mar 2011
  • I am karuppasamy second year study U.S.A studyed very interset midle class family studied amount? Help bank education loan bank? U.s.a sudyed qulifaction, mark% how many year?

    V.karuppasamy on 13 Nov 2011
  • I am a student of class 10 and want to study in UK or USA .how much percentage i need in 10 and what should i do in case of non-finance position

    vinay srivastava on 01 Feb 2012